Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions—Cashier’s Office

Q: What hours are you open?

A: The normal hours of operation for each location are:

Statesville campus:
Monday–Thursday: 8 a.m.–4:30 p.m. 
Friday:  8 a.m.– 4 p.m. 
*Last business day of the month:  8 a.m.–noon*
 **Please call (704) 978-5445 to confirm – Hours are subject to change. **

Mooresville campus:
Monday–Thursday:  8 a.m.–1 p.m.; 2–4:30 p.m.
Friday:  8 a.m.–1 p.m.; 2–4 p.m.
*Last business day of the month:  CLOSED

**Please call (704) 978-5404 to confirm – Hours are subject to change. **


Q: Do you have a payment plan?

A: Mitchell offers the Nelnet tuition payment plan for fall and spring semesters only. There is no payment plan for the summer semester. 

Q: When is payment due?

A: Payment due dates vary by semester and are published online


Q: Do you issue credit on a credit card?

A:  Refund types vary by payment method: If a credit card refund is due, it will be issued to the credit card used for payment. 

Q: How do I get a refund for classes I dropped or classes that were canceled?

A: All Mitchell students will receive refunds via credit card or check mailed to the address on file. (It is the responsibility of the student to make sure the correct address is on file). Refunds for classes that were dropped within the first 10 percent of the semester will be written at the earliest date following the 10 percent point of the semester, as determined by the Division of Finance and Operations.

Q: What number do I call if I have questions concerning my refund?

A: For any questions related to your account, contact Billing and Collections at (704) 978-5404.

Q: Will I receive a statement indicating the amount owed for classes?

A: Statements are NOT mailed. Account Balance information can be found online through Self-Service

Q: Where and how do I pay?

A: You may pay online by logging on to your Self-Service account. Debit and credit cards are accepted for online payments. Select the "Make a Payment" option under Financial Information.  You may also pay in person at the Cashier's Office located at the Statesville campus (Eason Student Services Center - Room 200) or Mooresville campus (Bldg. A - Room 202). Cash, check, money order, and major debit/credit cards are accepted as forms of payment at the Cashier window. Please note we do not accept starter checks.

**NOTE- If you pay off an old balance online. You must contact the Cashier's Office at (704) 978-5445 to let them know to remove your hold. It is not done automatically.

Q: Can I make a credit card payment by phone?

A: NO- Due to PCI compliance standards, the Student Accounts/Cashier's Office cannot accept credit card payment by phone.  However, you may pay by credit card online using your Self-Service account at any time.

Q: When I try to pay online using a credit card other than my own, the address that comes up for the billing address is not the billing address associated with that person’s credit card account. How can I change it to make the payment?

A: The billing address that you see in the Official Payments web payment screen is the address you have on your student records at Mitchell and cannot be changed at this location. The address information that is showing here will not interfere with your payment because it is not used for verification on this screen. Official Payments will verify the card number, expiration and CSV number that you enter. Your payment will not be declined due to the billing address that is showing. If this address is not your correct address, you will need to fill out a Data Change Form and mail or deliver it to the Registrar’s Office in the Eason Student Services Building to ensure that your records are up to date for future communications.


Q: I applied for financial aid.  Why does it not show up in my account?

A: Financial aid will not appear on your account until your aid is processed by the Financial Aid Office and you have received your award letter. This can take anywhere from six (6) to ten (10) weeks from application to award. 

In the meantime, you may consider paying in full or enrolling in the deferred payment plan until you are awarded aid. Once the aid is applied to your account, you will be refunded any credit balance. 

Q:  I dropped my classes.  Why do I still owe a balance?

A:  Please see our Refund Policy. If you are not able to determine the reason for the balance, contact the Cashier’s Office at (704) 878-4270.


Q: I have an outstanding balance. Can I get a transcript?

A: All outstanding balances must be paid before registering or withdrawing for any term. In addition, no college transcripts or diplomas will be released until all balances are paid in full. Find more information on the Fulfillment of Financial Obligations page or log in and make a payment

**NOTE- If you pay off an old balance online. You must contact the Cashier's Office at (704) 978-5445 to let them know to remove your hold. It is not done automatically.

1098-T/Tax Information

Q: What is Form 1098-T?

A: We are required by IRS Section 1.65050S-1 to send Form 1098-T to students for whom qualified tuition and fees were invoiced (or billed) during the calendar year. 

Q: Why did I receive Form 1098-T?

A: Form 1098-T has been provided to assist in determining if you (or an individual who may claim you as a dependent) are eligible to claim an education tax Credit on the income tax return. 

Q: Why did I NOT receive Form 1098-T?

A: There are several possibilities:
1) The IRS does not require us to send you one if your scholarship and aid (including formal billing arrangements with employers, government agencies, etc.) exceeded the invoiced amount.
2) You attended in Spring Semester but you had enrolled and been invoiced in prior calendar year.
3) We do not have a valid United States mailing address or Social Security Number on file for you. Please complete
Form W-9S and remit to the Registrar.
 4) Your invoiced amounts consisted of only non-credit courses.
5.) You gave consent to opt out of paper delivery of the form using Self-Service

Q: Where was my form mailed?

A: Your 1098-T form is mailed to the address you provide to the Registrar’s Office. It is up to the student to make sure the correct address is on file. You may also view this form electronically by accessing your self-service account, click on electronic consent and check the appropriate box.

Q: I viewed my 1098-T online.  Will I get a copy in the mail?

A: No. By providing consent to view your 1098-T online, you opted out of receiving a paper copy. You can print off the electronic copy at any time. you may also view prior years by giving electronic consent.

Q: Is the 1098-T form I printed from Self-Service valid for the IRS?

A: Absolutely. The 1098-T form from Self-Service is an IRS-approved substitute.

Q:  I registered in November for Spring classes and I did not receive a 1098-T.  Why?

A: The IRS only requires us to send 1098-T forms to students who were enrolled or attended classes during the tax year. If the upcoming spring semester is your first time enrolled or if you did not enroll or attend classes during the last calendar year, you will not receive a 1098-T.

Q: My address is wrong.  Can I get another copy printed?

A: No, but you can access and print a copy of your 1098-T by logging into self-service.  The Student Account/Cashier’s Office cannot reprint tax forms. Please update/correct your mailing address with the Registrar’s Office or "opt-out" of paper delivery.

Q:  What about books?  Why are they not included?

A:  Only qualified tuition and expenses are reported on your 1098-T.  Please consult your professional tax adviser with questions regarding "qualified expenses."

Q: If I receive Form 1098-T, does it mean I qualify for an Education Tax Credit?

A: Not necessarily. The College is required to provide Form 1098-T to individuals who were billed for qualified tuition and fees during the calendar year. Please consult your professional tax advisor to make an individual determination.

Q: How do I determine which expenses will qualify for an Education Tax Credit?

A: Please consult your professional tax advisor for additional information.

Q: What do the amounts located on the form represent?

A: Please look at the instructions at the top of your 1098T form for box information.