Fascinated by motorcycles? Learn the proper techniques needed to ride a motorcycle safely. Motorcycle Safety courses are designed to teach students how to ride a motorcycle or expand their skills. All motorcycle courses require student provided protective gear* for student safety, and 100% attendance is required.
Mandated NC requirements for riders ages 16-17, require a parent or legal guardian to complete a waiver form. Specific instructions required. Parent or legal guardian must call (704) 878-4266 or (704) 878-4273 prior to registration.
Students who successfully complete their course will be given a completion card. Courses are held at Mitchell's Continuing Education Center located at 701 West Front Street in Statesville, NC.
**When a Class is Full Registration is Closed **
**Class fill quickly. Be sure to register early**
Please bring your choice of note taking/test taking instruments to class on Saturday and Sunday.
These items are not provided for students to reduce the chance of spreading COVID-19.
Advanced Rider Course (ARC)**
The ARC is a one-day course that completes a rider's basic skills and helps with personal risk assessment. It includes a fast-paced classroom segment with several interactive activities to improve perception and hazard awareness with focuses on the behavioral aspects of riding such as attitude and personal risk assessment, and includes discussions about braking proficiency, cornering techniques and traction management. Range exercises enhance both basic skills and crash avoidance skills. Improving braking and cornering finesse is emphasized. The course is beneficial for riders on any type of street motorcycle. Students must have a valid motorcycle learners permit or full endorsement, provide their own two-wheeled single track motorcycle, protective gear*, and the motorcycle must pass a T-CLOCS inspection.
Basic Rider Course (BRC)
The BRC is designed for the student with little or no motorcycle riding experience. Students who successfully complete this safety and street skills course will be given cards to take to their local DMV office. Upon successful completion of the written examination at the DMV office, students will receive a motorcycle endorsement on their driver's license. Motorcycles are provided by the college, however the student is responsible for the protective gear* required to participate in this course. Students should know how to ride a pedal bicycle.
The Thursday night session is on-line in an eCourse. You will need a computer in order to complete it; it cannot be done on your phone.
The access code and instructions will be emailed to you on the Wednesday before class. Students must complete the eCourse and print their certificate (or take a picture of the certificate with their phone) to show the instructor on Saturday morning in order to be allowed into the class.
**Prerequisite(s) and/or special requirement(s) apply to registration.
**Protective Gear** **Student MUST provide ALL protective gear. **
- Helmet and Eye Protection: The helmet must meet DOT standards and can be full face, 3/4 or 1/2 in design. Helmets with obvious defects such as no lining, a cracked shell, or defective chinstrap will not be used. Student must provide own helmet. Sunglasses meet the eye protection requirement.
- Over-the-Ankle Footwear: Shoes should be predominantly leather in construction and cover the anklebone. High top athletic shoes that meet the above criteria may be worn.
- Pants: Pant legs should reach the shoe tops and be made preferably of denim or a material of equivalent durability.
- Long-sleeve Shirt or Jacket: If the student chooses to wear a long-sleeve shirt, a jacket is not required. A shirt with sleeves to the wrist made of a durable material is preferred. The shirt should cover the rider's shoulders (no shoulder cutouts allowed).
- Gloves: Gloves should be full fingered and preferably made of leather. Style and material are the student's choice.
- Face Covering - student should provide a face covering
- Snacks/Water - Student should bring snacks including water and cooler to keep snacks/water cold.